IIW Certified International Welding Specialist
Responsible Welding Coordinator (RWC) – Basic Technical Knowledge based on AS/NZS ISO 3834 and/or welding supervisor to AS/NZS 1554:2011.
Qualification and Certification
- Qualification: IIW International Welding Specialist (IWS)
- Certification: IIW Certified IWS incl AS 1796:2001 Certificate number 10 and/or AS 2214:2004 Welding Supervisor (where appropriate)
- Perform, supervise and/or oversee all company nominated welding and welding-related activities;
- Have overall responsibility for coordination of all welding and welding-related activities;
- Be authorised to sign on behalf of the organisation in all nominated welding quality related matters or delegate such signing e.g. goods release for despatch, inspection sign-off, accepting technical welding requirements, or verifying that the organisation has complied with all relevant quality considerations in the production of the product.
National or State Certificate in Engineering (or related discipline) or equivalent such as Cert III (Aust) in Engineering for IWS and if required AS 1796 Cert 10 or AS 2214 Certificate prerequisites to obtain Weld Australia (formerly known as the WTIA) Welding Supervisor Certification
- Module SWT- 09: Welding Processes and Equipment
- Module SWT-10: Materials and Their Behaviour During Welding – Part 1
- Module SWT-12D Materials and their Behaviour During Welding (Part 2) and Technology Demonstrations
- Module SWT-11: Construction and Design and Module SWT-12B: Fabrication and Applications Engineering (IWS) (Part 1)
- Module SWT-12A: Fabrication and Applications Engineering IWS (Part 2)
- Module SWT-12C Practical Welding Training – 40h
Guidance on Training Pathways (TPs)
Three Training Pathways will be available for achieving the IWS qualification and where required AS 1796 Certificate 10 or AS 2214 Welding Supervisor
Training Pathway 1
- Attend the Weld Australia OzWeld School of Welding Technology 227 hours of training through Courses SWT-09, SWT-10, SWT-12A, SWT-11& -12B, SWT12-D and SWT-12C(practical training).
- Successfully complete the Australian IIW Authorised National Body (ANB) examination and receive your IWS and Weld Australia AS 1796 Certificate or AS 2214 Welding Supervisor (where appropriate).
Training Pathway 2
- Attend a Weld Australia Approved Training Body (ATB) and complete the training for Welding Supervisor to AS 1796 Certificate 10 or AS 2214 Welding Supervisor.Attend the Weld Australia OzWeld School of Welding Technology training modules SWT-12A, SWT-11& 12B, SWT-12D and SWT-12C (practical training)
- Successfully complete the IIW ANB examination and receive your IWS and Weld Australia AS 1796 Certificate or AS 2214 Welding Supervisor (where appropriate)
Non-Member Rate: $8,690
Member Rate: $8,250
Non-Member Rate: $5,214
Member Rate: $4,950
For all examination and certification information, please go to the certification website, click here.
Ongoing certification as an International Welding Specialist is now available in Australia. Students completing this training course,and satisfying the Australian IIW ANB and Weld Australia Q&C Board joint examination requirements, are able to also apply for certification as an IIW Certified IWS, if they provide independent verification that they satisfy the following minimum requirements.
- Have a minimum of two years’ experience in the three-year period prior to certification which demonstrates successful application of welding technology at the International Welding Specialist level
- Provide evidence of scope of experience in accordance with ISO 14731 Welding coordination – Tasks and responsibilities at the IWS level
If you do not have the necessary experience now, you can apply for certification when the experience requirements are met at a later date. Re-certification will then be due every three years.
You can also apply as a Certified Pressure Equipment Welding Supervisor (CPEWS) or Certified Structural Steel Welding Supervisor (CSSWS)
Need more Information?
If you need more information on any of our training courses, please contact Paul James on 02 8748 0150 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org